Summary: It’s a recurrent case when your SD card not reading on phone or when you plug into PC’s card reader. You do not need to be anxious, today in this article we will discuss how to fix SD Card not reading error and recover if there is data loss in both no sweats.
SD card is a good medium for the storage of any digital media such as photos, audios, video clips in camcorders, cameras, MP3 players and Android phones or any device with memory card support. When sd card not showing up on computer or phone not detecting sd card, we’ll have to know the reasons why the SD card can’t work as normal, just check following causes.
10 Common Reasons Why SD Card not Reading
- SD card formatted incorrectly (the file system is not compatible with Windows)
- Bad sectors and/or read copy errors
- Damaged file structure due to virus infection
- SD card is broken
- USB port not working or incorrect
- SD card driver not updated or lost
- USB port congested
- SD card is physically damaged
- SD card not compatible with the device
- File manager needs to be changed
After presenting the reasons, let us proceed on how to fix this error. Below is the troubleshooting you must try.
7 Methods of Fixing SD Card not Reading Error
Test the SD Card into another PC
Insert your SD card into another PC’s card reader and check if your SD card works. If the PC is able to read your SD Card then the culprit might be the card reader and vice versa.
Another workaround is to insert your SD card in digital media like phone and connect it to your PC with a USB cable to check whether can be detected or not.
Check the USB Connector
Sometimes, you may use the USB connector, then you need to check the connection of the USB connector if its properly attached to the USB port.
By verifying the connection, you can plug the USB connection out from USB port after removing securely from the computer.
You can also try to restart the PC then reconnect the USB connector to the USB port again.
Put a Little More Pressure in Inserting SD Card
When SD card is not detected, the only sole solution might be a little force to make sure that the SD card is firmly inserted in the slot.
Clean SD Card and reader
Clogged SD card and reader due to dirt and dust might be the reason of poor connection resulting in SD card cannot be detected. In cleaning your SD Card, lightly wipe the dirt off with a cotton cloth dipped in little alcohol or water.
For your card reader, use a compressed air device that can blow the dust off. Contact cleaner is also available on the internet if you want to purchase.
Update card reader driver
This can be done either manually or automatically. For manual driver update, just proceed to manufacturer’s website and search for the recent correct driver. Try searching both in the PC’s manufacturer and card reader manufacturer. You may also do the steps below:
- Insert SD Card into your PC’s card reader.
- Go to Navigate Control Panel – System – Device Manager– Disk drivers
- Right-click your USB device and select Uninstall and choose Scan for hardware changes to refresh the drivers.
Assign the New Drive Letter for SD Card
If the above troubleshooting can’t work to fix SD card not reading error, try to assign the new drive letter for SD card.
Press Win+ R and then type: diskmgmt.msc, right-click on your SD card device, and choose “Change drive letter and paths” and click Change, assign a new drive letter and follow the steps as shown in the windows.
After that, I would like to recommend you to recover the data first from SD card, as the precious data inside the SD card is important than the SD card itself sometimes.
Recover data from SD card not reading on a computer
Bitwar Data Recovery is user-friendly and no expert skills needed to recover your files. This will solve your question on how to recover data from inaccessible memory card. Just plug in your SD card back on your PC and if it still showing in the Disk Management.
Then you can have a good chance to recover data first before fixing the SD card.
Simply Download the Bitwar Data Recovery Software and install to the different partition, after launching the software, you can then follow below steps to recover data from the SD card.
- Select your SD card and choose a recovery mode.
- Select the file type you wish to recover.
- Scan and preview the data, and then hit the recover button to save the data into different device or partition.
Once done, we can then do some extra operations to make the SD card visible again on the computer.
3 Methods to Make SD card Visible on PC
Using CHKDSK Command
- In the search box, type “cmd” and click Run as Administrator.
- In the command window, type “CHKDSK” followed by the drive letter assigned to your SD card then the colon and “/f”. Click Enter. The CHKDSK will try to fix how to repair corrupted memory card not detected in PC.
- Reconnect the SD card and check.
Format SD Card using CMD
- Press Win+R and type: CMD
- After opening the command window, type: Format F: /q (Change the drive letter F to your assigned one)
- Hit ENTER button on your keyboard and wait for the process to finish.
Format SD card in Disk Management
- Enter to Disk Management and right-click on the SD card device.
- Choose Format and perform a quick format.
We have high hopes that you have gained relevant information on How to fix SD Card not reading error issues. For more issues regarding your devices, download Bitwar Data Recovery to recover first your files before any disaster happens.