Summary: When using USB flash, the error message you might receive is “Please insert a Disk into USB drive” error but just hang on there, this article will focus on how to fix the error and guide you on how to recover data lost due to this error using Bitwar Data Recovery Software.
Any Windows user would agree with the fact that USB flash drive is one of the most utilized partitions in saving files – documents, photos, audios, and videos depending on the capacity size of the USB stick.
Nevertheless, it is also undeniable that USB flash drive is susceptible to numerous errors due to virus attack and the key to solve is causing the root of errors.
4 Possible Causes for The USB Error
A prompt message such as “Please insert a disk into drive f” is a sudden and popular error that most users faced. Upon checking the drive’s Properties and both Used space and Free space show “0 bytes”. Even when you try to format, the process cannot be performed with this error message – “Windows was unable to complete the format”.
Let’s take a look at why the “Please Insert a Disk into USB Drive” Errors occurred during using the USB flash drive on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
Here are four reasons you need to know, henceforth, avoid such error again in the future.
- USB drive attempts to get drive letters already assigned to a different partition.
- USB drive corrupted by virus infection or other factors.
- Your PC controller did not load the firmware of the USB drive successfully.
- The USB drive was not increased by Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, and Vista.
After knowing the causes, then we can just follow the below solutions to give a try.
7 Best Solutions to Fix “Please Insert Disk into Removable Disk” Error
Solution 1: Change Drive Letter and Paths
- Log in to the account with administrative privileges.
- Plug-in USB flash drive in the USB port.
- Go to My Computer or This PC > Manage > Disk Management.
- Right-click USB flash drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Change the drive letter into an unusually assigned letter to the drive e.g U: or Y: (drive letter not assigned to another drive on windows).
Solution 2: Insert the USB Drive before Windows Start
Caution: Ensure that the USB drive is not set as the priority boot device. This may cause Windows hanging upon login. If the Windows hang, remove immediately the USB drive and insert it again when the Windows starts.
Solution 3: Cool and Heat the USB Drive
- Insert USB drive to PC and use a hairdryer to heat up the USB.
- Wait for at least 2 minutes and remove and insert again the USB drive for few times. Check if you can now access your files.
- If the former procedure does not work, remove your USB drive and coll off for a while and try to insert and remove it for few times again. See if it works this time.
If the above solutions couldn’t work to solve the “Please insert a disk into USB drive error,” don’t be nervous, you can still rely on third-party file recovery software to restore your vital data on it.
Solution 4: Recover Data using Bitwar Data Recovery
Just download the software from the official website and then install it on the computer. Thereafter, follow the below steps to get back lost files from inaccessible USB flash drive.
Step 1. Select the device or drive where you wish to recover your lost data.
Step 2. Select a recovery mode and choose your target recovering file types (e.g. document or photo)
Step 3. Scan and preview the data, then hit the Recover button and save the data into different devices or partitions.
Once saved your lost files to computer, it’s time to proceed in various quick solutions to overcome please insert a disk into a USB drive in Windows 10, 8, 7 to make the USB flash drive, SD card visible again on your computer.
Solution 5: Format USB Drive
- Insert the USB drive into the computer and right-click My Computer or This PC and select Manage
- Go to Disk Management
- Right-click on your USB drive and click Format
- Enter the new name of the USB drive in the Volume Label and use the correct file system. Click OK once done.
Solution 6: Diskpart
On the search box of Start Menu and type cmd for Command Prompt. Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator. In the Command Prompt Window, type the following enumerated below and click Enter after each command:
- list disk
- select disk X (x is the drive number assigned to your USB drive)
- create partition primary
- Select partition 1
- format fs=fat32
Solution 7: Manufacturer’s Repair Utility
Some USB Manufacturer websites offer repair utilities that allow the users to solve the error of please inserts a disk into the drive. These utilities include the internet connection and propriety algorithm of the manufacturer.
Last note: It is highly recommended that you FIRST restore your files before performing any Quick Solutions. It would be easy to retrieve the files before any process done that can alter the system of the USB drive.
Please insert a disk into the removable disk is not only occurs on USB flash drive but also can happen during using SD memory card or external hard drive, though we hope that the solutions mentioned above can help solve your problems.
If you are having a problem that USB drive says no media in disk management, try to follow the tutorial to fix the error and use Bitwar Data Recovery Software to recover your files.
- 7 Solutions to fix USB Device Not Recognized Error in Windows
- How to Recover Data from Pen Drive
- 10 Methods of How to fix SD Card Not Reading Error
- Quick Fix for External Hard Drive not Showing up Windows 10
- [FIXED] The Volume Does Not Contain a Recognized File System
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?