Summary: This article will take you through the best solution to fix the issue USB Stick Showing Wrong Capacity. Follow the information below to know more!
“Hi, there’s a problem with my SanDisk pen drive, it used to be 64 GB originally when I bought it, but right now it was showing incorrect size (500 MB) after connecting with my Windows 10, what should I do now?” —Asked by Tinna.
“Do you know how to fix the Pen Drive showing less space than actual? I have a Sony USB flash drive is a Micro Vault 16 GB pen drive, but the Windows system right now saying the drive only has less than 4 MB capacity when I was trying to transfer photos out from it. The photos are very important to me; how do I get back these photos and also how to fix the problem to make the USB show the full capacity again?” —Asked by Worrance.
If you are also facing the same issues that the system warns you there’s not enough space on the flash drive, please don’t worry about it, as we will provide you the best solutions to sort the issue of USB Stick Showing Wrong Capacity.
What causes the USB Stick Showing Wrong Capacity?
Following are some of the situations that can cause the issue USB Flash Stick Showing Wrong Capacity.
- Malware and Viruses.
- USB drive not safely ejected.
- The pen drive in use is corrupted or damaged.
- USB is partitioned into two or more.
- Presence of unallocated space.
Before we move towards the solutions to overcome the issue USB Stick Showing Wrong size, it is imperative to learn that applying these solutions may lead to data loss. Henceforth, it’s vital to recover all your data somewhere safe.
Steps to Recover Data using Bitwar Data Recovery Software
You can restore your data from the USB stick with the help of Bitwar data recovery software. The software is capable of recovering the data from pen drive show as 0 bytes, wrong capacity, not recognized or the error of please insert a disk into the USB drive.
For pen drive showing as 0 bytes / not showing files or folders issue, we are the first data recovery software that can detect the original file system, e.g. NTFS, then when you connect the pen drive, it appears in the software with the type of NTFS_RAW.
The advantage of detecting the original file system is a way to use the Quick Scan mode to scan the drive, and most importantly, you can get back the files with original file name, folder structure, file path with below steps:
Step 1: Download the software for Windows 10, 8, 7 or Mac. And then install it on your computer.
Step 2: Before launching the tool make sure that the USB is connected to your computer. Now, click on the USB drive from the device list and followed by a click on Next.
Step 3: Choose the Quick Scan and then select the file type that you want to recover and then click on the Next button.
Step 4: After this, preview the data you selected to retrieve and then click on the Recover button to start the process.
After restoring all your relevant data, save it somewhere safe; do not save it to the same USB with which issue was encountered.
And about fixing the USB flash drive showing the wrong size, it’s also easy to fix the errors with following solutions.
Solutions to fix the issue USB Flash drive Showing Wrong Capacity:
Here are some effective ways to fix the issue and carry on your work normally. Have a look:
Solution 1: Using Command Prompt:
- Select the Start button and type cmd in the search box to open the Command Prompt.
- Type diskpart in the Command Prompt and hit on Enter.
- Now, input command list disk to get the listing of all the disks attached to your computer device and then press Enter.
- After this, type select disk # command to select your USB (where # stands for the drive number).
- Type in clean command now and hit Enter to execute.
- Type create partition primary command, this command will create a new partition in your USB stick after successful cleaning of the disk.
- Finally, type format fs=fat32 quick to format the freshly formed partition to fat32 file.
After applying the above steps, open Windows Explorer to check the capacity of your USB stick. If your USB stick has regained its original size then you are good to go; else, refer to the below-given solution to fix the problem.
Solution 2: Format using Disk Management:
- Windows Disk Management helps in managing disks and partitions for the computer, and it also can be used to repair the errors in the USB drives.
- Press Win logo key + R and type diskmgmt.msc to open the Disk Management. On this page, you will be able to see partitions, local hard drive, and the affected USB.
- Select your USB by clicking right on it then choose the option Format followed by a click on file system format to being formatting.
- Now, right click on the USB drive and choose the option New Simple Volume.
- Choosing this will let you recreate a new partition for the USB drive. After this, follow the onscreen instructions and click on the Next button.
Once this process is done, you will see that the USB stick is formatted and recognized as full capacity by the computer.
Anyone who uses computer devices daily must have encountered this issue, and others; if they may ever come across this issue, they know what to do! There can be any of the above-stated reasons to cause the problem USB Stick Showing Wrong Capacity which would show the incorrect size of your USB drive and will not let you access it.
You may apply any of the above-stated solutions to eliminate the issue and start using your USB again. But, these solutions can lead to loss of data; hence; it becomes indispensable to recover all your valuable data at first.
Here, you can use Bitwar Data Recovery Software to recover data due to its user-friendly and straightforward steps for recovery in various data loss scenarios especially recover your data and then apply the solutions as mentioned above to fix the issue USB Stick Showing Wrong Capacity.