Summary: This article will walk you through fixing the error of The Application was Unable to Start Correctly with a step by step guide. Likewise, it introduces a strikingly powerful tool, Bitwar Data Recovery, to help you recover any lost files.
Have you ever encountered opening a program in your computer and got this prompt message “the application was unable to start correctly (error 0xc0000005 windows 7 or 10) and found every program freezing? Moreover, got a system file error when opening Windows programs? You are not alone with this frequently occurring error code. Every user faces it. Here is a simple guide for you to follow.
Seven Recommended Solutions to the Error
Solution 1: Safe Mode With Networking or Enable Low-Resolution Video
- Press and hold Shift Key while clicking Restart.
- Select Troubleshoot and click Advanced Options.
- Go to Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Select Enable Safe Mode with networking or Low-Resolution video.
Check if the application error 0xc0000005 persists.
Solution 2: Perform Clean Boot
- Start PC with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs to determine if the background program interferes with the game or program.
- Make sure you logged on as Administrator.
- Check what Windows version you are using.
There are things to remember before proceeding: few services might have a temporarily functional loss when performing a clean startup. Functionality will come back once you restore the settings. Nevertheless, an application error 0xc0000005 message will possibly appear again. If the PC is connected to a network, policy settings of the network might block the completion of the clean restart procedure. Contact the system administrator when this matter comes.
- Type “msconfig” in the search box when opening the Start Menu, and then hit Enter.
- In the System Configuration Utility window, on the General Tab click Selective Startup.
- Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. (Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable)
- Click Services Tab.
- Select the Hide All Microsoft Services.
- Click Disable All, and click OK.
- Hit Restart.
Note: If the application error 0xc0000005 persists, then the background program or service is not the culprit. To return Windows to Normal startup mode, follow the steps below:
- Type “msconfig” in the search box when opening the Start menu, and then hit Enter.
- On the General Tab, click Normal Startup – load all device drivers and services then click OK.
- Click Restart.
The rationale for this process is that Windows in Normal Startup allows some applications and services to start automatically and run in the background. They may comprise basic system processes, antivirus software, system utility applications, and software formerly installed. These applications and services cause interference when installing and running a certain program.
Solution 3: Uninstall and Reinstall the Software
IMPORTANT NOTE: Back up your files before uninstalling the program.
- Go to Control Panel by typing “control panel” in the search box of Start Menu and select Programs and Features.
- Right-click the program and select Uninstall (make sure to complete the process).
- Reinstall the software program.
See if the application error 0xc0000005 persists.
Solution 4: Use CHKDSK Command
To solve hardware issues, try to run CHKDSK command.
- In the search box of the Start button, type “cmd” for Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the popup window, type “chkdsk Drive Letter: /f/r”. The Drive Letter should be replaced with the letter that you want to repair. And then Click Enter. After the prompt has showed a warning message, type“Y”.
- Restart your PC.
After that, restart your PC and check if the application error 0xc0000005 is still there.
Solution 5: Update Windows Version
To fix present bugs, updating the Windows version sometimes help. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005) Microsoft is one of these bugs. You only have to remember that updating Windows will erase all files. Thus, backup is much needed.
Solution 6: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Rredisbutable Packages
Microsoft Visual C++ Rredisbutable Packages allow users to run several programs.
- Go to Start Menu, type “control panel” in the search box and click Enter.
- In the popup window, select Programs and Features.
- Uninstall all Microsoft Visual C++ Rredisbutable Packages.
- Go to Microsoft and reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.
Solution 7: Repair Latest Version of .Net Framework
When applications supported by .NET Framework are not properly installed or updated, it may cause the error of the Application Was Unable to Start Correctly (0xc0000005).
- In the search box of Start Menu, type “control panel” and hit Enter.
- Select Programs and Features in the Control Panel Winodow.
- Click Turn Windows features on or off.
- In the pop-up Windows Feature window, select NET Framework 3.5 (include .NET 2.0 and 3.0). Click OK.
- Restart your PC.
After restarting, see if the application error 0xc0000005 persists.
Recover Data With Third-Party Data Recovery Software
Users may have noticed that some solutions written above could involve deletion of certain files. While deletion could be inevitable, it doesn’t mean we can’t retrieve them after finishing the repairment. Bitwar data Recovery, A user-friendly data recovery tool, can give a helping hand in scenarios of this kind.
How to Use Bitwar Data Recovery
Step 1. Download the program according to your computer OS, install and launch it.
Step 2. Click the ‘Wizard Mode’ button just below center.
Step 3. Select the partitions and devices where you have deleted the files. And then click on ‘Next’.
Step 4: Select a scan mode to apply. And then click on ‘Next’.
Step 5: Select the types of the files that you have deleted. And click on ‘Scan’.
Step 6: After finishing the scanning, you can right-click on a file to preview it before checking off and recover the files you want.
Note: Be careful not to recover the files to the storage devices from which you have deleted them. Save them to other storage devices for safety.
In this article, we have presented a few fixes for the Application Was Unable to Start Correctly. This error 0xc0000005 Windows 7 or 10 happens in several situations, and you do not need to pay a repair guy. You can do it by yourself just by applying the seven solutions. Download Bitwar Data Recovery to recover your precious files if any of the solutions causes unintentional data loss.
- 4 Methods to Format SD Card | Solutions to Fix SD Card Corruption Error
- Fixed: Windows cannot Access the Specified Device Path or File Error
- 3 Ways to Fix the Request Failed due to a Fatal Device Hardware Error
- Fast Fix: DISKPART has Encountered an Error Access is Denied
- 3 Ways to Fix “CHKDSK is not available for RAW Drives” Error